Post Death Matters

Please notify the deceased person’s bank, especially for receipts and cheques deposited automatically, or if mortgage payments and other transactions (e.g. GIRO deductions) are carried out directly from the account.
Inform the deceased person’s insurance companies. Beneficiaries may receive payouts from insurance policies, credit and trade unions or fraternal organisations, etc.

Check for any outstanding debts, such as credit-card bills.  For bills where payment is made automatically via GIRO, inform the companies to cancel the GIRO.

Where appropriate, contact the deceased person’s landlord, cancel utilities such as electricity and telephone connections, and other items such as safety deposit boxes etc. Give the post office a forwarding address for the deceased person’s mail.

Obtain the deceased person’s will and inform his lawyer and/or executor.

An estate duty is payable on the value of a deceased person’s net assets above a specified threshold amount. More information on estate duties is available here.

You can also contact:
Tel: 6351 3126

The Public Trustee administers the estates of deceased persons if the value does not exceed $50,000. More information on public trustee is available here. The Public Trustee will:
  1. Administer the assets of the deceased (for example bank and other financial institutions deposits, undrawn salaries, CPF savings and New Singapore Shares).
  2. Sell or transfer shares held by the deceased person in Singapore-listed companies.
  3. Transfer any vehicle belonging to the deceased to the beneficiary.
  4. Ascertain the validity of claimants’ entitlement as beneficiaries and the relationship between the claimants and the deceased person.
  5. Hold the minor’s share in trust until the beneficiary reaches age of maturity and may make monthly payments for the minor’s maintenance and education.
More information can be found at:
  • Insolvency Office
  • If the deceased is a Muslim, the Public Trustee will distribute the estate of the deceased to the beneficiaries in accordance with the Inheritance Certificate obtained from the Syariah Court by the applicant. Applications can be made online.
There are various government social assistance schemes available if help is needed. These schemes are administered by the Community Development Councils. The schemes are:
  • Public Assistance (PA) Scheme/Special Grant (SG)
  • Home Ownership Plus Education Scheme (HOPE)
  • Rent and Utilities Assistance Scheme (RUAS)
  • Interim Financial Assistance Scheme (IFAS)
  • Student Care Fee Assistance (SCFA)
  • Centre-based Financial Assistance Scheme for Child Care (CFAC)
  • Work Assistance Programme (WAP)
  • Kindergarten Financial Assistance Scheme (KiFAS)
More information on social assistance is available here.
  • The Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA) allows employees who have sustained injuries in a work-related accident or
    contracted an occupational disease to claim work injury compensation. Dependants of employees who died in a work-
    related accident are also eligible for compensation.

    More information on the work injury compensation act (WICA)  is available here.

  • If the deceased person leaves behind a child below the age of 21, family and friends may wish to adopt the child and give him or her a new home. Adopting a child is not just a legal process. It involves much thought and emotion as well.

    More information on child adoption is available here.

Coping with the death of a loved one or close friend is painful and may be difficult. You can seek the professional advice and support from your nearest Family Service Centres (FSCs). The FSCs are your neighbourhood-based focal points of family resources which everyone can turn to on any family-related matters. They are around to promote the well-being of families and individuals.

More information on Family Service Centre is available here.

Please call the Helpline, which operates in English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil to contact your nearest FSC.

You may also wish to seek professional counselling from the following voluntary welfare organizations.

Ministry of Social and Family Development

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS)

Helpline: 1800 221 4444 (24-hr toll-free line)

SOS provides a 24-hour crisis line service, which gives emotional support to people who are troubled. All calls to SOS are kept in strict confidentiality.

Care Corner Counselling Centre

Hotline: 1800 353 5800 (10am to 10pm daily)

Care Corner Counselling Centre provides counselling services to the Mandarin-speaking population, allowing them to share their problems in total anonymity and strict confidentiality.

  • The death of a child can be a particularly difficult loss. Child Bereavement Support (Singapore) is a support group for bereaved parents set up by bereaved parents, providing support groups, befriending and information.